Looking to the Past and to the Future
Jan Bobbett and Mary Kenny
New Adventures in Learning presents a wide variety of topics in different class formats each semester for adults who are interested in lifelong learning. The organization’s current fall semester is a great example of the wide-ranging topics in the semester lineup of in-person and Zoom classes. While registration and classes are just beginning, there’s plenty of time to register for your choice of classes. Registration remains open throughout the semester, with new classes being almost weekly into December.
“Birth and Death of the Battleship Arizona” allows us to look back. Tony Contrabasso will talk about the design and building of the battleship, its performance, and its life and death in World War II. Tony has presented many and varied classes, including the history of World War II, oceanography, and the building of the Panama Canal.
From history classes like “Birth and Death of the Battleship Arizona” and “Cuban Missile Crisis 60 Years Later” to “Robotics & AI: The Future of Humanity?” to weekly movies and tech support, there are so many different opportunities to expand our horizons through a New Adventures membership.
Here is a sample of classes offered just in October:
* Meditation in Today’s World
* Active Shooter
* Understanding Political Polls
* Decisions Using Data
* Cutting the Cord: Watching TV without Cable
* Day of the Dead
* Pandemic Immunity
* The Psychology of People: The Impact of Personality Traits and Relationships
* Use a Planisphere to Locate Stars and Constellations
* Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
Also offered this fall are language classes in Spanish, Italian, and German. And look for one of our favorite authors, Malcolm Gladwell, in October as New Adventures continues its Book Club with Talking to Strangers.
For details about the above classes and all fall semester classes, go to the New Adventures website, www.newadventures.info.
Follow these steps to navigate through the website to get to the full list of fall classes:
1. From the home page, click on “Classes” in the left column.
2. Next, click on the highlighted box that reads, “Register for Classes.”
3. From this next screen, select the fall semester from the drop box under “Search Options,” and you will be taken to the full list of classes.
4. Finally, simply click on the class that interests you to get more details.
New Adventures is a not-for-profit, membership organization affiliated with Chandler-Gilbert Community College (CGCC). Annual membership is $60, and the semester administration fee is $20 for each semester you enroll in classes.
New Adventures remains a bargain compared to many other lifelong learning programs, which charge up to $40 per class. We don’t charge per class, so your dues and semester fee allow you to take as many classes as you wish at no additional cost. Also, when you become a member of New Adventures, you become a student of CGCC and are eligible for student discounts on many college and community activities.
Have questions or need help? Call 480-857-5500 or email us at [email protected].