Houzz Inc. is a leading online platform for home remodeling ideas. A picture says a thousand words, and it can be a great starting place to visualize what you want your home to look like and to communicate that with your project designer. With the powerhouse of computers, Houzz can determine the most popular photos, and the Houzz staff reviewed top favorites and selected the best in design for 2021. It is my intention to write a series of columns assessing what seems to be trending for various rooms, starting with the laundry room and outdoor living.
The laundry room is no longer a neglected room with appliances stuck in, for it, too, is being designed to meet lifestyle needs for storage and function. Front-end loading washers and dryers are most popular, for they can be stacked in a small space or be side by side with a counter cover for a more functional workspace. Some included a gift wrapping, sewing, or crafting center or made it an elevated mud room with a hall tree with a bench for backpacks and cubbies for sports/outdoor gear. Others had spaces for pet washing and sleeping. Many of them included these elements:
* Natural light and decorative lighting
* Ample countertop surface and storage
* Open shelving (gives more depth)
* Soaking sink
* Hidden drying racks and a retracting ironing board unit
* Easily accessible large hampers to sort white and color loads
* Accents on walls such as tile, shiplap, beadboard, or wallpaper
* Beautiful flooring in a bright, inviting space
Outdoor entertaining is increasing in popularity. Outside air is often healthier to breathe, and a well-designed space can handle a crowd or an intimate gathering. It adds more usable space, expanding the indoor living space to the outdoors. These are the most popular design elements:
* Outdoor kitchen with sink, warming drawer, refrigeration
* Bar seating at island or at a retracting exterior window
* Retractable glass wall/door to blend the indoors with outdoors
* Fire feature with seating
* Couch seating area with television
* Outdoor dining area
* Loveseat swing
* Landscape design details for a sense of intimacy, adding color and textures
* Ample shade, corner column posts only, party lighting, and ceiling fans
* Beautiful flooring
Overall, with people spending more time at home, homeowners are creating spaces, putting in their personality into the design and details to make their home cozier and like a resort.
Happy Home Remodeling!