Laurie Kelech, Golf Shop Manager
Dear Members and Residents,
Thank you for an impressive season! As we approach the upcoming season, the Golf Shop and the board have listened to members’ comments about desiring more clarity and certainty regarding what their unlimited Golf Passes will cost each year. Therefore, we are introducing a pricing structure designed to:
* Simplify cost budgeting with a fixed rate and payment options using EFT to reduce credit card fees;
* Reflect the value of the golf course presented at SunBird by adjusting individual rates and Punch Passes while still providing discounted play for members and league participation; and
* Ensure that our revenue will enable both our present and future improvement needs.
Here are the 2022-23 season offerings:
* Platinum: an unlimited 12-month member Golf Pass, offering a monthly payment schedule or a discounted single payment up front.
* Gold: a 6-month option that provides flexibility for those who are not full-time residents by offering a monthly payment schedule or discounted single payment up front.
* Silver: a 3-month option that is paid in full.
* Punch Pass: provides discounted play for guests, residents, and public.
The primary influences driving this price increase:
* Member rates: have not been increased in over four years.
* Capital needs: SBGC needs to improve its reserve funds. While we have acquired many replacement pieces of equipment within the last year, the club still needs additional pieces to ensure solid and desirable play conditions. Some of these capital investments include new security gates on the maintenance yard, remodeling/rebuilding much of the maintenance structures, and additional gators and rough mowers.
* Inflation: is currently at 8.5%, which directly impacts diesel fuel, seed, fertilizer, weed killer, range balls, golf cart batteries, materials, etc., all of which subtract from our reserves and profitability.
* Competitiveness: We have seen a significant increase in outside play this past year due to the Golf Shop Team and to the great conditions of the course. See the testimonials below.
Specific rates and costs outlined in the rate chart are effective with the new season starting in August.
Your Golf Shop Team, Green’s Crew, and the BOD are excited about all the improvements at SBGC. Our intent is to create an environment for you to come unwind, relax, and improve at your favorite activity. We appreciate your continued support!
SBGC Board of Directors
*Recent Accomplishments by SBGC:
The last three years have been quite challenging to our club. With your continued support and the collaborative leadership between the board of directors and management, we not only weathered the challenges, but also made some great advances for your club and course. These efforts have been partially financed by contributions from clubs and leagues, tournament donations, individual member contributions, and the HOA funds resulting from the $300 levied on each home sale.
Among the most significant of these are as follows:
* Leasing of 10 new golf carts enabling us to reap the benefits of greater outside play
* Acquisition of a new rough mower
* Installation of a power mower lift to facilitate repairs and maintenance of all equipment
* Significant electrical upgrades to the cart storage area and the maintenance yard
* Purchase of a “like new” John Deere tractor and forklift attachment
* Purchase of two all-purpose vehicles replacing the dying Gators
* A six-foot aerator to facilitate deep root growth across the course
* A reconditioned ball retriever for the range
“Nice Course—I can’t say enough about Laurie and her staff. Friendly, professional, and courteous. Even the landscapers stop working when you are near them. That’s usually reserved for high-end courses and certainly not seen at any other courses in the East Valley. Course is in transition now but still very playable. Great job, SunBird!” —DAVID6209522
“The course is in good condition, the greens are easy to read if you’re off the fairways, it’s not too long, it’s not a walk-on course where you think you can beat it every time, it’s a tough little course, great people in the Golf Shop. I would have never found this course if it wasn’t due to GolfNow and GolfPass.” —KRISTA M.
“Challenging Executive Course—Don’t let this course fool you, it’s quite challenging. Great staff, good pace of play, and a good assortment of holes. Considering the time of year, this course was in good shape. Had a great day!” —Anonymous
“Nice Course, great staff! Course is in transition, so fairways and tee boxes will improve as time goes by. Greens, however, are very good. Christina in the Pro Shop is great, very friendly, efficient, and helpful.” —Ed Sink