We snowbirds have been rolling in since October, eager to see and play some golf with each other, as well as our full-time friends. The Men’s Club Thursday play will be in high gear by the time you receive this newsletter, having kicked off the new season on Nov. 3. We also had the first meeting of the new season on Nov. 1. So here we go with the first newsletter of the 2022-23 season:
The SunBird Men’s Golf Club would like to invite all golfers who are new or not yet members of the club to consider joining. The Men’s Club provides the opportunity to participate in weekly (Thursday) gross/net stroke play, scrambles, and/or other format tournaments. All events are handicapped. Membership in the club requires a membership in the Arizona Golf Association (AGA) and its GHIN handicap system. The dues for 2022-23 are $55 if paid online at www.azgolf.org or $60 if paid in the Pro Shop.
After Dec. 15, the dues will increase to $60 (online payment) and $65 (Pro Shop payment). For Arizona Golf Association or GHIN handicap questions, contact Membership Chairman Fred Garmeson at 480-895-9363.
We encourage all members and prospective members to attend any of the monthly SunBird Men’s Club general business meetings, which are held on the first Tuesday of each month in the clubhouse ballroom, east end, at 9 a.m. Hear firsthand about current club and course issues.
Below are the more notable issues discussed in the November Executive Committee meeting:
1. There will be a meeting on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. in the ballroom for all SunBird residents to explain the community drainage and storm runoff area responsibilities.
2. The SunBird Open event will take place on Dec. 10. It will be a four-person scramble with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. Be sure and get signed up for this!
3. Back by popular demand, the Pro Shop will be setting up play dates again with local high school teams.
4. As was started last season, the golf course will have a starter at tee box 1 in the mornings to ensure golf groups go off at their scheduled times.
5. The schedules are posted on the board for all the upcoming tournaments.
The Hole-in-One pot continues to grow as a result of Thursday play/participation and, unfortunately, lack of success during the 2021-22 season! A round of golf at SunBird provides each member seven cracks at achieving an ace, so best of luck to all of you. Don Hunt would like nothing better than to pass out some $100 checks this season.
The Thursday formats for December play are as follows:
Dec. 1: Gross-Net, Dec. 8: 2-Man Chapman, Dec. 15: Gross-Net, Dec. 22: Stableford, Dec. 29: Gross-Net.
The next Men’s Club meeting is Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 9 a.m. I hope to see you there. We will provide the coffee and donuts!