The Italian Club closed out the 2017-2018 season with a Potluck Party on the Patio. The club supplied chicken baked and fried while members brought side dishes and dessert. There were great dishes, including salad, pasta salads, Italian sausage with peppers and onions, potatoes au gratin, succotash and a Caprese salad. The desserts were outstanding. Our thanks to all the members who brought food to share with their fellow Italian Club members (molto bene). The membership approved the following individuals for club officers for the next two years: President, Frank Nechvatal; Vice President, Lisa Romero; Secretary, Treve Christianson; Treasurer, Pauline Sciaretta. We wish them well over the course of the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons.
Chris Nechvatal circulated a sign-up sheet among the lady members for the Summer Italian Ladies’ Luncheon Series. If you missed out on signing up, please call Chris at 883-9262. The ladies will meet once a month this summer at various restaurants for luncheon and frivolity.
Reminder, our club will meet for the 2018-2019 season on the second Tuesday of each of the months from October through April in the Lakeview Room at 6:00 p.m. Again, we begin on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 6:00 p.m. in the Lakeview Room. Have a safe and enjoyable summer, and we will see you then.
Italian Fun Facts:
1. Italians love their caffeine. The Espresso machine was invented by Angelo Moriondo in 1884.
2. Pretzels were first made by an Italian Monk in 610. He gave them to children who learned their prayers.
3. In 2012, the town of Falciano del Massico in Campania made it illegal for residents to die because the town’s cemetery is full.
4. There is a bronze statue of Jesus Christ submerged in the Mediterranean Sea off San Fruttuoso.
5. Almost four-fifths of Italy is either mountainous or hilly.
Until next time, Ciao!