Our German Club closed the season with Patio Potluck on April 24. Members brought various vegetable dishes, salads and desserts to share. The club provided utensils, dishes and napkins. The main dish of chicken was brought by the club. The new officers for the club were presented: Frank Nechvatal, President; Treva Christenson, Vice President; Secretary, Toni Greisiger; Treasurer, Barb Valentine. The club will recess for the summer and begin again on the fourth Tuesday in September to plan and prepare for the annual Oktoberfest at the October meeting. Again, we first meet on Tuesday, September 25, 2018, at 6:00 p.m. in the Lakeview Room.
To our members, please, have a healthy and fun summer. See you in September.
German Fun Facts:
1. The Cologne Cathedral took 632 years to build. It is immense, over 500 feet long and more than 200 feet wide, and it can hold 40,000 people. Wow, I wonder how long it takes to serve communion.
2. To ask for beer in a pub, one uses their thumb to indicate “one.”
3. In the 4th grade, children are placed into the Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium. Placement pretty much determines if the child will go to university or straight to the workforce. The Gymnasium is for college prep.
4. The first printed book was in German.
5. The longest word published in the German language is Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitaetenhauptbetreibswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (80 letters). Try saying that five times fast.
Until next time, aufwiedersehen!