Summer semester for New Adventures in Learning, a lifelong-learning program, runs from June 4 to July 26, 2018. The purpose of this group is to provide classes for people at or near retirement who desire to continue learning in order to enhance the quality of their lives and to meet new people. Lectures, readings, workshops, roundtables and off-campus events explore a wide range of topics. Here is a sample of the opportunities coming up.
* Robert Leneway offers both beginning and advanced tips for using Alexa.
* Bill Haskell presents Neil deGrasse Tyson’s The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries, a lecture series from The Great Courses.
* Mary Kenny brings “Ted Talks for Fun and Inspiration.”
* Denny Steele introduces Genetic Genealogy.
* Phyllis Lope discusses “Carl Sandburg’s Life and Times.”
* Cheryl Hovde teaches beginning and more advanced Mahjongg.
* Susan Gerace uses principles from I’ve Decided to Live 120 Years to lead a roundtable discussion.
* Catherine Hammond leads another conversation called “Let’s Talk about Happiness.”
* Two book clubs meet monthly. New members are always welcome.
* Bev and Ron Edwards take a group to the Sun Lakes Fire Station followed by a visit to a local restaurant.
* Carol Jacobson and Evey Freed go “Out to Lunch” for Cajun and Greek Food, also at local restaurants.
The early deadline to request these and many other classes was May 16, 2018, so some of these events may have a waitlist. For more information on signing up now, call 480-857-5500, go to http://www.newadventures.info or visit the Sun Lakes Center at 25105 S. Alma School Road, Sun Lakes, AZ.
New Adventures in Learning is a membership organization affiliated with Chandler-Gilbert Community College and has been encouraging lifelong learning since 1999. If you wish to join the organization or need to renew your dues at this time, the yearly fee is $50.00, which covers participation until August 31, 2019, providing an extra semester’s membership. All current memberships now expire on August 31, 2018, and members will receive their notices of renewal in a summer mailing. Add an additional $15 registration charge for the college to participate in the summer semester.