Board of Directors had a Business meeting on February 25, 2019, in the SunBird Ballroom. The following are notes from this meeting.
Members Present: Nancy Eckstein, Linda DiPalma, Tammy Bachofner, Shirley Clark, Dan Buescher, Gordon Lee and Layne Varney, General Manager
Members Not Present: Bob Moren
President Nancy Eckstein called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
Review and Acceptance of January 28, 2019, Business Meeting and Executive Session and February 11, 2019, Agenda Planning Meeting minutes were approved as corrected.
Treasurer’s Report – Tammy Bachofner reported the 2018 financial audit would be completed by the Annual Membership Meeting March 4. Auditor to give a preliminary report February 26 to the Board and Finance Committee.
Manager’s Report – Layne Varney reported 21st Annual Rummage Sale was held raising $2,555, making the grand total $52,733.01. Thank you to Chuck Warren and his host of volunteers. New auditor devoting more time than usual with a different approach to the audit. Collections report presented. Nine homes sold during the Month of January. Food & Beverage Operation additional activities and events in the Horizon Room are increasing business. Repairing stairs leading to the upper level of clubhouse. Swimming pool water temperature set to 86 degrees struggling to maintain due to cooler evenings. New SunBird Golf Resort sign on Cooper and Riggs completed. On Thursday, February 21, an unauthorized vehicle attempted to enter the Kerby Farms gate through the exit side resulting in three flat tires. Lost a couple of trees and a large saguaro cactus during the storm on Friday, February 22. Activities are at an all-time high with attendance and the number of events with great feedback.
Committee Liaison Reports Presented by Board Members.
List of members interested for serving on all committees was presented to the Board for review and approval as attached. Gordon Lee made a motion to accept the list of interested members as presented to serve on the noted committees for the 2019-2020 time period. Vote 6/0, Motion Carried
The agenda for the Annual Membership meeting was presented and reviewed. Tammy Bachofner made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Vote 6/0, Motion Carried
Project Review and Long Range Planning Committee recommended two projects for approval:
1) After study and review, it was recommended that five convex mirrors be installed in the fitness room for better visibility at $250. Project to begin when funds are available. Shirley Clark made a motion to approve the mirrors for the fitness room as presented. Vote 6/0, Motion Carried
2) After study and review, it was recommended that the stair handrails at the east and west end of the clubhouse be replaced with round 1.5” diameter/gripable rails. Gordon Lee made a motion to approve the project as presented. Vote 6/0, Motion Carried
Board Directors has been working goals for the 2019 year. The following goals were presented:
Proposed Goals for 2019
1. Place emphasis on getting residents more active in the community.
2. Develop an educational program that will help familiarize residents about the duties and responsibilities of HOA Board of Directors and Committee members.
3. Develop and strengthen Board training and educational opportunities.
4. Develop a plan for clubhouse re-decorating using a professional interior designer.
5. Develop a long-term facility improvement and recreational enhancement plan.
6. Utilize more volunteers to work on projects and activities around community.
7. Improve safety within our community.
8. Educate the Board of Directors and the community on the financial operations of SunBird.
9. Educate the community on the history of SunBird.
10. Establish guidelines to ensure quality food and service within the Food and Beverage Department.
President Nancy Eckstein assigned specific goals to the individual Board members for study and accomplishment. Assignments were made as follows: Gordon Lee #1 and #2, Nancy Eckstein with Layne Varney #3, Linda DiPalma #4, Dan Buescher #5, Shirley Clark #6, Bob Moren #7, Tammy Bachofner #8, Nancy Eckstein #9 and Tammy Bachofner #10. Linda DiPalma made a motion to approve the 2019 Board Goals and assignments as discussed. Vote 6/0, Motion Carried
Comment Sheet Review – Layne Varney
President Nancy Eckstein adjourned the meeting at 11:00 a.m.
Next scheduled Board Meetings: Agenda Planning Monday, April 8, at 10:00 a.m. in the ballroom. Business Meeting Monday, April 22, at 10:00 a.m. in the ballroom. All are welcome to attend!