Wendy Weber, Lifestyle Director
Many residents have been asking why we can’t have Friday Night DJs, Corn Toss, Karaoke or other like activities in the Horizon Room. The SunBird HOA management team has been closely monitoring the guidelines put out by Governor Ducey, the CDC, and Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) dated Aug. 10, 2020. Requirements for Restaurants and Bars Providing Dine-In Services stated the following:
Prohibit the following activities:
* Dancing – Dancing is temporarily prohibited, and anyone with a dance floor or dance space must close that section to the public or repurpose it for seating to allow for greater social distancing.
* Parlor games – Parlor games (such as pool, darts, or other games commonly associated with eating and drinking establishments) shall temporarily be closed.
* Karaoke – Karaoke or other live performances in which customers are active participants shall be temporarily halted.
Until these restrictions are lifted, SunBird is not permitted to host these types of activities, but are prepared to resume activity when that time comes.
What about other types of events and activities including dances, concerts, bus trips, etc.? SunBird has looked at all avenues; and as stated above, we are closely monitoring the guidelines (as of this date, Sept. 9, 2020, the restrictions for large gatherings, both inside and outside, have not changed). Per Governor Ducey’s Executive Order dated Aug. 10, 2020, “It also limited indoor and outdoor gatherings to no more than 50 people.” Again, until the restrictions are lifted, unfortunately, we are unable to offer these types of events or activities. With that being said, we have to think outside the box and try to come up with creative and innovative ideas while still staying in compliance. Some ideas that have come up or have been suggested:
* Organized local day trips which residents can caravan, carpool, etc. However, potential trips will also have to adhere to restrictions and may limit potential choices.
* Utilizing our SunBird outdoor amenities; what a great time to learn a new sport!
* Corn Toss, BattleChip (golf game), or other like games on the patio (limit 50 people)
* Paint & Sip or other like classes
* Dive-in movie (to be viewed in pool) or drive-in movie (to be viewed from golf cart or car)
Hopefully we can start slowly introducing some of these activities back into SunBird. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions or ideas, please feel free to contact Wendy Weber, Lifestyle Director, at [email protected] or 480-802-4901.
Bus trips had become a monthly activity that a lot of residents looked forward to and enjoyed. Unfortunately, like all other activities, bus trips came to a halt when COVID-19 hit in March. We have been in contact with the bus company, and they are slowly starting to resume trips. However, with the social distancing restrictions, the bus capacity has been limited to 50% occupancy. What this means is that the price of the transportation portion of the trip would be doubled from what was previously being charged and it may be difficult for us to fill even half the bus with the increased rates. This is something that we will continue to monitor as restrictions are being lifted.
We know that this has not been an easy time and we truly do appreciate your patience and understanding during these trying times.