The German Club held the last meeting of the 2016-2017 season on the patio on April 25. The event was a potluck event with the club furnishing fried chicken as the main dish with club members bringing other dishes to share. The assemblage was a private party with the food provided by non-certified kitchens. During the party, the new officers for the upcoming year were elected: Co-Presidents Delores and Larry, Vice President Barb Valentine, Treasurer Toni Greisiger and Secretary Frank Nechvatal. Plans for the next season were discussed.
The German Club meets the fourth Tuesday of each month in the Lakeview Room and is open to any interested SunBird residents. We will begin in September of 2017 in order to plan for our Oktoberfest celebration. To our members, we wish you a great summer, and we will see you in the fall!
Fun facts about Germans:
1. One out of three Germans iron their underwear.
2. The most common name in Germany is Thomas Mueller.
3. Germans walk an average of 1.5 kilometers per day (1 1/4 miles).
4. One in three Germans eats sausages and potato salad on Christmas Eve.
5. One in 10 Germans has a tattoo – in the 25 to 35 age group, it is one in four.
6. Germany’s most popular fast-food is the doner kabob sandwich – 400 million pitas filled with meat and salad are sold each year.
7. In 1970, there were 15,100,000 cars in Germany and 44,403,100 in 2015.
8. One in three Germans cuts her own hair.
9. In 1902, there were 605,000 German soldiers, and in 2015 the number was 177,069.
10. Germany was the first country to introduce Daylight Savings Time – the Spring of 1916.
Auf wiedersehen bis September!